STS Cheat Sheet – Everything You Need to Know!
What is STS?
- We’re an academic department in the School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (SHASS).
- Our scholars bring methods from the humanities and social sciences to understanding science, technology, and medicine around the world.
- Learn more about our 16 faculty members and all of their areas of research here.
How do undergraduates engage with STS?
- Take one or more of our subjects to help fulfill your HASS requirement (we have 52 HASS undergrad classes, 11 of which are CI-H)
- Do a HASS concentration in STS. The concentration in STS simply consists of three STS subjects.
- Complete a minor (5 of the 6 classes can count towards your HASS requirement)
- Double or joint major
- Do a HASS concentration in Computing & Society
- Sign Up for the STS Undergraduate Email List
Want to learn more? Click on the links below to hear from an STS major…
What is an STS class like? How did your STS instructor support your learning?
How have STS classes provided a critical look at issues of race, racism and/or inequality?
How have STS classes influenced your approach to and/or view of your major course of study?
How do you think your STS classes will help you have an impact on the world through your profession?
AY 2023-2024 Undergraduate Subjects
|Title & Info|
|STS.001||Technology in American History|
|STS.004||Intersections: Science, Technology, and the World|
|STS.011||Biotechnology and Society|
|STS.012||Science Controversies in Everyday Life|
|STS.014||Embodied Education: Past, Present, Future (NEW) More Info|
|STS.021J||Science Activism: Gender, Race, and Power|
|STS.038||Risky Business: Food Production, Environment, and Health|
|STS.041||Medicine in Motion (NEW)|
|STS.042J||Einstein, Oppenheimer, Feynman: Physics in the 20th Century|
|STS.043||Technology & Self: Science, Technology, and Memoir|
|STS.044||Technology & Self: Things and Thinking|
|STS.048||African Americans in Science, Technology, and Medicine|
|STS.055J||Living Dangerously: Environmental Problems from 1900 to Today (NEW)|
|STS.065J||The Anthropology of Sound|
|STS.075J||Technology and Culture|
|STS.082J||Science, Technology, and Public Policy|
|STS.084J||Social Problems of Nuclear Energy|
|STS.086J||Cultures of Computing|
For Questions contact:
Professor Chakanetsa Mavhunga